These are books that I have read. I remember more when I write in a book and the review it afterwards. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to comment

Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Radical Leap - Steve Farber



The Radical Leap - Steve Farber

I have always loved reading leadership books. Over the last few years, some authors have adopted one of the teaching methods of Jesus. When He wanted to teach profound truths to people - Jesus told stories. Many business books today are doing the same thing. They tell stories to communicate business and leadership principles.

Steve Farber’'s book The Radical Leap is one such book.

The book is centered on the acronym: L.E.A.P. Four words describe leadership: Love - Energy - Audacity - Proof.

I will not give the story away … but I do think there are some quotes from the book that are well worth sharing.

“The difference between a madman and a professional is that a professional does as well as he can with what he has set out to do and a madman does exceptionally well at what he can’t help doing.”

I underlined this quote in the book. (Always read a book with pen or pencil in hand - make notes - underline - you never know when you will want to go back and review what you has determined is meaningful.) Then I asked myself this question: As Pastor of a church - am I doing a good job - or do I have such a passion for the work that I am the madman that can’t help doing what he loves so much? That is the Love - of the L.E.A.P. You cannot lead if you do not love.

I would hope that you have the fortune to do your work because you cannot help but not do it. I cannot help but do what I have been called - chosen - wired to do. I have to do it. I love it. If it means I am nuts - then so be it. I hope you are able to do that at your job - at your calling.

“Love generates Energy - inspires Audacity and requires Proof. LEAP is simply the Extreme Leader’s active, dynamic expression of love.

Of course - in all leadership books - one has to talk about vision. And vision statements.

A vision statement does not generate energy, love does, great ideas do, principles and values do. A vision statement that comes from a workshop exercise is usually about as energizing and memorable as a saltine cracker.”

“But vision from the heart is - by definition - an expression of love. And not only is that more energizing, it is energy.”

How many times has a company - or a church - concocted a vision statement - put it on a wall and thought it was going to change the world? Vision from the heart changes things.

However, I think my favorite quote from the book is: “If you keep reminding yourself and others about the importance of your work, about the great future you are striving to create, you will generate the energy you need to work through any obstacle and challenge. Your energy will be contagious to others.” That is leadership.

The book is not written to the church - but I can think of no more important work that what God has called the church - and every believer - to. We have been called to change the world. What we do impacts eternity. I think we need to be reminded of that - repeatedly.

I think as Pastor - I need to constantly remind each believer about the importance of the work we have been called to do. That is the “nugget” I took from this book.

Be forewarned - this book has some coarse language in places. But all in all - this book spoke to my heart about communicating the passion that is in my heart for the work that I do. Communicating that passion to the people I work beside. Communicating that passion to the people I have the privilege of leading.

Let me know if you read this book!
Posted by Hello

No comments: