These are books that I have read. I remember more when I write in a book and the review it afterwards. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to comment

Thursday, November 04, 2004

A New Kind of Christian - Brian McLaren


A New Kind of Christian - A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey - Brian McLaren

Over the last two years, I have read many books dealing with Postmodernism and the Church. Some have been very philosophical – some have been “I found it – you need to – or your church will die ... tomorrow” – but none have done a better job of explaining a postmodern mindset of Christianity than this book.

McLaren weaves a story about Daniel – a disillusioned pastor and Neo – a Science Teacher from the local high school. Through this story – the conversations – emails and phone calls – McLaren about postmodernism. He does not do this from a sociological, philosophical or even religious viewpoint – although all three are dealt with thoroughly – he deals with postmodernism as a historical shift in humanity’s journey.

There is no way I can encapsulate this book into book review form – but I will say that I was enlightened, challenged, encouraged and a bit terrified by this book. It does challenge parts of my theology -- greatly. It is more soft and fuzzy than concise and clean angled.

However, as I finished the book – one thought came to mind. Often times Christianity is something that we do. We mature in Christ by doing these things: church attendance, tithing, sharing our faith, reading our Bibles, etc. But what Neo seemed to be communicating was that Christianity is more about being – who we are – that leads to the right deeds. Again – I am still pondering this book – and will for some time.

I would have difficulty in recommending this book to a new Believer. However, I do think that those who are steadfast in their faith – but seek to communicate how people can connect with God to a new generation – would benefit greatly by reading this book.



No comments: