These are books that I have read. I remember more when I write in a book and the review it afterwards. Hope you enjoy. Feel free to comment

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Velvet Elvis - Rob Bell

Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell is a very interesting and entertaining read. There are many insights that I picked up from this book - particularly those of the Jewish Culture during the time of Jesus. From Bell's insights on the Jewish Culture, Rabbis and Tamildin - the calling of the Disciples by Jesus took on a much deeper and fuller meaning.

However, there are points where Bell stretches my comfort zone with his view of Scripture. His points of questioning whether there is a "constant right" interpretation of scripture troubles me. Even though there are cultural and traditional influences and insights, there is still places where the scripture is clear. While insights might add color, there are still some black and white issues of right and wrong in scripture that cross cultural, generational and geographic lines.

Additionally, I am troubled at some acceptance of habits that would be stumbling blocks in the culture that I live. While as Christians there is freedom, there are times when you don't exercise that freedom because it would be a stumbling block to either new believers or even unbelievers. Again - that is my culture - and Rob Bell does not live in my culture.

I would recommend this book to mature Christian who could filter it though his understanding of his faith and the culture in which he lives his faith out.

No comments: